Sunday, November 7, 2010

"The Lightest Touch"

In my last teacher trainer session we were given a poem. This poem is called "The Lightest Touch" from Everything is Waiting for You by David Whyte. When i first read this poem I felt a deep sacredness about it. I do not fully understand all that it means, but I still enjoy the spirit behind it. I know it has to do with hands on adjusting during a yoga practice. I feel that touch is very powerful and needs to be done with respect. This poem for me emphasises that power. Here it is:

Good Poetry begins with
the lightest touch
a breezed arriving from nowhere
a whispered healing arrival
a word in your ear
a settling into things
then, like a hand in the dark it
arrest the whole body
stealing you for revelation
In the Silence that follows a great line
you can feel Lazarus
deep inside
even the laziest, most deathly afraid
part of you,
lift up his hands and walk to the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment